Welcome to this new addition of London Guided Walks blog, GUIDED THEATRE by Sarah at Thrifty Theatre. Your hub for all thing’s theatre, including news, the hottest shows and where to get your tickets. Each month I will give you my top tip for the month as well as recommendations for some great shows.
So, what is there to look forward to at the start of 2020:
Do you like Murder Mysteries? Do you like Musicals? Do you like Jason Manford? Well this show combines all three. Jessica Cranshaw, star of the new Broadway-bound musical Robbin Hood, has been murdered on stage on opening night! Time for Detective Frank Cioffi to solve the crime whilst enjoying his much-loved musical numbers.
Sick of seeing signs for pantomimes and Christmas musicals in January? Me too! So Why not give Curtains a go? It’s a combination of comedy, music and Jason, what else could you ask for? Rush tickets are available from Todaytix for just £25! It’s on at the Garrick Theatre (nearest tube station Leicester Square) until 11th January 2020.
Must-see shows in January:
- Uncle Vanya – opening 14th January – Harold Pinter Theatre
- Adam Kay: This is Going to Hurt – returning to the Westend on 6th January for 1 week only – Garrick Theatre
- Once the Musical – running until 11th January – Fairfield Hall
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane – running until 25th January – National Theatre
- Ghost Quartet – running until 4th January – Boulevard Theatre
What to look forward to in 2020:
- Sunday in the Park with George is coming to London fresh from its run on Broadway staring Jake Gyllenhall (that’s right, the guy from Donnie Darko) and Annaleigh Ashford. Opening at the Savoy Theatre.
- To Kill a Mockingbird is opening at the Gielgud Theatre in May 2020 staring Rhys Ifans. After the drama that unfolded in the summer of 2019 where its run was cancelled in London due to a disagreement over the licensing, they resolved their differences allowing the production to come here from New York.
- 101 Dalmatians is making its debut at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre in May 2020. It’s a brand-new musical with puppetry, Cruella Deville and of course, puppies! Cannot wait to see this.
My top tip for this month is, download the TodayTix app. If you want to see more theatre in 2020, you must get this downloaded. It’s an easy way to see exactly what’s on and they often do flash sales so you can get tickets for as little as £15. Visit your app store to download, bonus, it’s totally free.
That’s all folks, thanks for reading.
Join us in February for your next instalment of Guided Theatre.
Don’t forget to follow London Guided Walks on Instagram @walk_london and @Guided_Walks on twitter or if you want to know more about Theatre news, follow @thriftytheatrelondon on Instagram and @theatrethrifty on twitter.